Thursday 14 April 2011

Apple Blossom

Wow, its been a while since I have been on here, lots and lots of stuff going on, making stuff for the daily listing club on Folksy (will blog about that soon!) amongst day to day life (and the school holidays!).

Anyway, I thought I would just do a quick post about apple blossom (just in case you didn't get that from the title)

I have two apple trees in the little space behind my mid terrace house in inner city Liverpool, they are only young trees and we have had them for about 3 yrs now.  The first year we got one Bramley apple, I was so pleased but in the second year only one tree blossomed so neither tree bore fruit that year, but this year both trees have oodles and oodles of blossom, see...





Don't you just love blossom?
(please feel free to ignore the grey block wall, has just been repaired by landlord as another well fell and took ours with it and I haven't got round to painting it yet to match the rest of the yard!!)

Anyway, with so much blossom I would love a bumper crop of cooking apples this year so to try and encourage this I was out there this morning with a little paintbrush, moving pollen from one tree to the other in case the insects cant be bothered.  I will do this regularly while the trees are in blossom and hopefully this will help yield a bumper crop this year.
(It also helps that the walls are quite high so no-one can see the strange woman painting her flowers!)

So keep your fingers crossed that my attempts at pollination work and I shall report back any new findings.

See you all for now, x

No comments:

Post a Comment