Monday 24 January 2011

Grannies - gotta love 'em - An introduction to crochet squares

Ooo I love grannies - the square variety (although I do love the relation kind too!), a much maligned staple of crochet (the 70's have a lot to answer for).

The granny square is very versatile, from super large squares that are very traditional baby shawls down to smaller ones joined together to make colourful blankets, cushions and even bags.
Then you can get variations on the same theme, granny triangles, granny rectangles, granny circles, you can even get granny stripes - these I intend to explore in more detail over time.
The granny square theme has led to more and more elaborate squares being designed and created, to the extent that there are now hundreds of patterns, mostly free, out there on the internet to choose from to suit various experience levels.
I intend to show you some of the variety of squares on this blog as I make them to swap with other people form around the world, but not in this instalment.

As a member of Ravelry - an online community for knitters and crocheters, I have joined a number of groups that swap 6" squares on a monthly basis, either to a particular theme - holidays, seasons or colours, or to a members preferences - colours etc. (like those below - jewel colours was the request)

I also make squares for a couple of groups/charities that put together blankets for people who will benefit from the well wishes of those that have made the squares, these squares can be made in any colour combination, a great way to use up all those little bits of yarn left over from other makes.


Next time I will show some of the 12" squares that I am working on and that I have received from another swap, these will be making a blanket for me to keep me warm when I go and live in a tent for holidays!
See you then.


No comments:

Post a Comment